Contact: webmaster

From: Jay Miller (jnmiller, cryptofreak dot org)
Date: 2001.03.08 - 19.15 MST

So, by reading around a bit I've found out a few important things:

* We're dealing with 'phase modulation'.  I'm retarded for calling the
difference in the wave 'frequency' - phase is changing, not freq.
Anyway, this is a very common method and in order to use it, the serial
connection needs a constant (control) clock signal at all times to
either negate or double the signal that we were given.  The moral
here is that PM is not used with asynchronous (start-stop) serial
communication.

* Synchronous transmission works by sending large blocks of data in a
continuous stream of (usually) 2000-4000 characters.  These characters
are bordered by 'STX' and 'ETX' symbols (sometimes two or three) rather
than start/stop bits.

Here's some good references:

http://wheelie.tees.ac.uk/users/a.clements/Async/async.htm
http://www.rad.com/networks/1994/modems/modem.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/HW/async232.asp

So, ah, this could be harder yet. <sigh>

--
Jay Miller

ICQ: 32123421 | YM: ladenedge | http://www.cryptofreak.org
PGP: 0xedc9bb8d | 41a6428c 46abd36b 6b259b68 8a28ca4c edc9bb8c